Monday, May 12, 2008

Mothers Day...

Its been a hard week for me, but good. I've had lots of time to reflect on my own mother, and my little wife who is a mother to be. Its been great. Hard, but great. Mom passed away about 6 weeks ago now, and now that I've had some time to 'get over it' (cause that'll happen) I have had some time to reflect and gather my thoughts....and i think I'll share them with you (my MANY avid readers).

Mom was so strong in life. Those last weeks when Rae and I were out helping take care of her, she was so opposite physically but her mental facilities. I was able to have some great conversations with mom in that last while and part of this will be to share some of those with you....

One week, mom lost consciousness for about 19 hours. Her breathing was very rough and she was moaning and groaning in her sleep. My father, my brothers Nate and Mitch and I were with her and we truly thought, that we were facing the end. We decided to sing some Hymns to mom, including Oh My Father, Abide With Me, Be Still My Soul, How Great Thou Art to name some. Mom's breathing slowed, and then got normal, and she relaxed and slept peacefully for the rest of the night...

Nate stayed in the room with her that night, and talked with her though she was not really 'with' us...and at one point he said "mom, you're a tough old bird." to which she responded by laughing. Mom was back. I spent the day in with mom talking to her. She was still a little out of it, but our conversation was funny, and poignant at once. Mother asked me if I knew how many seconds I had left to tell my family what I needed to tell them...and I said no...then I asked her, what she would tell us, in your last seconds...and she said "Two things....love...and thats more than I would normally say."

I love my mother, we had many more conversations, which I will cherish forever. I miss mom, and I am eternally grateful for all she did for me. I hope that I can live up to the expectations she has for me. I'm also grateful for my wife, who is such a great support for me, she's great and has been there for some hard times for me. I'd have to ask Rae, but I think we've been to 7 funerals now since we've been married. More births and weddings are in order...yes?

2 comments:

Leslie said...

I wish I had met your mom. She did a great job raising you, so knowing you will have to suffice. And yes, way more weddings and births need to happen!
Les.

Adventures of Matt and Rae said...

I just re-read this post...I still miss my mom terribly. March is the anniversary of her passing and its coming up fast. I wish I could talk to her now that I am a father.....